June 2018 – President’s Report

Hi everyone!

I hope you’ve all been smashing out your exams and final assignments and are looking forward to a well deserved break from study. It has been an absolutely hectic month from a USASA perspective, and I cant wait to let you all know what I’ve been up to this month.


Now onto what I’ve been up to this month:

University Merger Discussion

On Tuesday the 19th of June, the University of South Australia and the University of Adelaide announced that both universities have agreed to explore the merits of a merger to create a new Australian university. I have begun conversations with the Vice-Chancellor David Lloyd about this announcement, and my immediate focus will be ensuring that the student voice is at the heart of this process. I have refrained from rushing into making impulsive and ill-considered comments about this announcement, as I think that it is important that I understand what your thoughts on this issue are. It is for this reason that I have announced that USASA will be conducting a comprehensive listening exercise on this issue. I will be visiting every UniSA campus in the month of August to discuss this issue with you and your campus representatives directly. These dates will be made available shortly through USASA’s promotional channels. In the meantime, there will be no impact to any students currently studying at UniSA. You can find out more here.

merger.png


Residential Colleges

Earlier this month, there were some extremely concerning allegations of hazing and sexual assault at the St Mark’s residential college on 60 Minutes. Subsequent to these allegations, I met with the administration of St Mark’s College including the Master Rose Alwyn, as well as the student leadership of the college. I have also been working with the National Union of Students, as well as End Rape on Campus throughout the month. I welcome the decision of Richard Burchnall to stand down from the position of St Mark’s College chairman, and I support his calls for the college board to be dissolved. USASA stands with all victims of sexual assault, harassment and rape. I will continue to work with the University to ensure that they take action on this issue. I am also meeting with the Federal Minister for Education next month to discuss the issue of hazing and sexual assault in residential colleges, and why it is imperative that the Federal Government take action to stamp out this disgusting behaviour.


Sea & Vines Festival

It was great to attend the Sea & Vines Festival in McLaren Vale – one of the best wine regions in the world. All of the UniSA students that attended had a great day, and I think that it is imperative that as your student association, USASA continues to offer social events such as this as a way for students to unwind and meet new people.

sea&vines.png


Other things I’ve been up to: 

  • 01/06/18 – Meeting with Daniel Randell (USASA GM), Nick Anderson (USASA Finance Advisor), and Arthur Siow (USASA Legal Advisor)
  • 01/06/18 – Phone meeting with Nina Funnell
  • 05/05/18 – Meeting with Kayla Dickeson (NUS (Dis)abilities Officer)
  • 05/06/18 – Shortlisting – Learning Advisor
  • 04/06/18 – Meeting with St Mark’s College Club Leadership
  • 05/06/18 – Student Appeals Committee Meeting
  • 06/06/18 – Snap Action against Sexual Harassment and Hazing at Adelaide University
  • 06/06/18 – Meeting with Bridget Laffy  (Student Rep Support Officer)
  • 10/06/18 – Sea & Vines Day Trip
  • 12/06/18 – Meeting with Daniel Randell (USASA GM) and Bridget Laffy (Student Rep Support Officer)
  • 12/06/18 – Finance Committee Meeting
  • 13/06/18 – Meeting with Laura-Anne Bull (PVC: Student Engagement & Equity) and Daniel Randell (USASA GM)
  • 13/06/18 – Meeting with Michelle Anderson (Manager: Access and Inclusion, SEU) and Rainbow Club Executive and Rainbow Club regarding ALLY Network
  • 13/06/18 – Phone meeting with Stephen Foley (Head of College & Chief Executive) Mark Thornton (Deputy Head) Paterson Boyd (Dean of Students and former NAUUC president) of St Leo’s Residential College
  • 15/06/18 – Meeting with Sopor Tan (City East Rep) and Bridget Laffy (Student Rep Support Officer)
  • 15/06/18 – Meeting with Sharna Bremner (Founder and Director, End Rape on Campus)
  • 15/06/18 – City East Campus Advisory Group Meeting
  • 15/06/18 – Meeting with Abid Billah (Intl Student Rep) and Bridget Laffy (Student Rep Support Officer)
  • 18/06/18 – Halloween Committee Meeting
  • 18/06/18 – Meeting with Brendan Hughes (Director, SEU), and Narelle Lieschke (Manager Counselling, SEU)
  • 19/06/18 – UniSA Special Council Meeting
  • 19/18/18 – Meeting with Rose Alwyn (Master, St Mark’s College), Narelle Lieschke (Manager Counselling, SEU), and Brendan Hughes (Director, SEU)
  • 19/06/18 – Meeting with Daniel Randell (USASA GM), and Luis Gardeazabal (USASA Advocacy Manager)
  • 19/06/18 – Governance Committee Meeting
  • 19/06/18 – USASA Board Meeting
  • 20/06/18 – Meeting with Brendan Hughes (Director, SEU), and Narelle Lieschke (Manager Counselling, SEU)
  • 20/06/18 – Meeting with Stephen Boyle (Dean: Academic, Business School) and Luis Gardeazabal (USASA Advocacy Manager)
  • 21/06/18 – Meeting with Grace Dixon (Mawson Lakes Rep)
  • 21/06/18 – Meeting with Mark Pace (NUS President) and Jordon O’Reilly (NUS Welfare Officer)
  • 22/06/18 – Productivity Ninja Workshop
  • 22/06/18 – Academic Board Meeting
  • 22/06/18 – Meeting with John Walker (Program Manager with Dean Academic Office:EASS)
  • 26/06/18 – Unitopia Student Committee Meeting
  • 26/06/18 – Welfare Committee Meeting
  • 27/06/18 – Meeting with Abid Billah (International Student Rep)
  • 28/06/18 – University Council Meeting
  • 29/06/18 – Policy Review Steering Group Meeting
  • 29/06/18 – Diversity, Equity & Access Committee Meeting

What I’m up to next month:

  • 03/07/18 – NUS Education Conference
  • 04/07/18 – NUS Education Conference
  • 05/07/18 – NUS Education Conference
  • 05/07/18 – Finance Committee Meeting
  • 06/07/18 – Meeting with Simon Birmingham (Federal Minister for Education) and Matt Boughey (Adelaide Uni SRC President)
  • 13/07/18 – Clubs Committee Meeting
  • 16/07/18 – International Student Welcome Event with Abid Billah (International Student Rep)
  • 16/07/18 – UNITE Workshop – Delegating and Coaching
  • 16/07/18 – USASA Board Meeting
  • 24/07/18 – Halloween Party Committee Meeting
  • 26/07/18 – Meeting with Laura-Anne Bull (PVC: Student Engagement & Equity) and Daniel Randell (USASA GM)
  • 27/07/18 – Education Committee Meeting
  • 30/07/18 – BUE International Student Welcome Reception
  • TBA – Governance Committee Meeting

That’s all for now. If in the meantime you’d like to get in contact for any reason, feel free to send me an email at mumjp001@mymail.unisa.edu.

Advertisements

May 2018 – President’s Report

Hi everyone!
_
I hope you’ve all had a great month, and are feeling well prepared for any exams that you have coming up – I wish you all the best of luck. Given that we are now approaching half way through the year, I think it is important to take a second to reflect on some of the great things that USASA has achieved so far in 2018.
    
ataglance.pngAs well as the above mentioned achievements of the 2018 Board, we have also established an Equity and Diversity Committee to better support disadvantaged students, continued to focus on the areas of Sexual Assault and Harassment, as well as going from strength to strength with the USASA Education Committee in supporting the academic needs of students at UniSA. The entire Board can be extremely proud of all of their work so far, and I look forward to reporting on the Boards collective achievements as the year goes on.

Now onto what I’ve been up to this month:
_
Response to 2018 Budget
_
On Tuesday 8th of May, the Federal Government handed down their 2018 budget. Unsurprisingly this budget did little to support students or young people. The budget locked in the $2.2bn worth of cuts to the higher education sector that were announced in the Mid Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook (MYEFO) in late 2017, as well as the Federal Governments plans to reduce the HECS repayment threshold to $45,000. I was in constant communication with Office Bearers from the National Union of Students (NUS) throughout budget week, and made sure USASA Reps were informed on the implications of the 2018 budget on students and young people. The NUS National Welfare Officer – Jordon O’Reilly addressed the Board at our May meeting and also gave the Board an update on the budget. I will continue to work with the NUS and the rest of the USASA Board throughout the rest of the year to advocate for a fairer and more student-centred budget.

UniTopia 
_
UniTopia hit all metro UniSA campuses throughout the month of May. It was great to see so many UniSA students enjoying the festivities and unwinding with live music, free food, and the always popular Doggo Café. I hope you’re all feeling better heading into exam season, and make sure to put SP5 UniTopia into your diaries!
_
32191136_10156202309684774_5518682613402828800_o.jpg

Opening of Pridham Hall + Cancer Research Institute 

Close to $300 million of new facilities for UniSA students, staff and the wider community have officially opened this month. It was a great honour to be invited to attend both the opening of the $50m cultural and sporting facility Pridham Hall, as well as the $247m, 14-storey UniSA Cancer Research Institute. It is great to see the University invest in infrastructure that supports both students, as well as boosting the links between research, teaching, industry and practice. _____________________________________________________________________________

commercial-building-and-construction-projects-education-university-of-south-australia-health-innovation-building-hib-hy17health-innovation-building-hero.jpg


Other things I’ve been up to this month:

  • 01/05/18 – Business School Formal Inquiry
  • 01/05/18 – Meeting with Laura-Anne Bull (PVC: Student Engagement & Equity) and Daniel Randell (USASA GM)
  • 02/05/18 – UniTopia Committee Meeting
  • 02/05/18 – Student Connect Meeting – Mawson Lakes
  • 03/05/18 – Meeting with Magill Rep – Ryan Colsey
  • 04/05/18 – Graduation Ceremony – Whyalla Campus
  • 07/05/18 – Pridham Hall Official Opening
  • 08//05/18 – UniTopia City West Campus
  • 10/05/18 – Catch up with Brendan Hughes (SEU) and Daniel Randell (USASA GM)
  • 10/05/18 – UniSA Consent Training – Communications Plan Meeting
  • 11/05/18 – Graduation Ceremony – Mount Gambier Campus
  • 15/05/18 – Policy Review Steering Group Meeting
  • 18/05/18 – ITMS School Board Meeting
  • 21/05/18 – University Council – Governance and Legislation Committee Meeting
  • 21/05/18 – USASA Meeting with Sharon Lockwood – Counsellor and Training Coordinator (Sexual Assault and Harassment)
  • 21/05/18 – Clubs Budget Planning Brainstorm Meeting
  • 21/05/18 – Interview with ABC
  • 21/05/18 – Meeting with Daniel Randell (USASA GM)
  • 22/05/18 – Clubs Committee Meeting
  • 22/05/18 – USASA Finance Committee Meeting
  • 22/05/18 – USASA Board Meeting
  • 23/05/18 – Meeting with Tom Steer and Barbara Parker to discuss UniSA Online
  • 23/05/18 – Meeting with Laura-Anne Bull (PVC: Student Engagement & Equity), Daniel Randell (USASA GM) and Ryan Colsey (Magill Rep) to discuss Student Feedback Process
  • 24/05/18 – Meeting with Daniel Randell (USASA GM)
  • 25/05/18 – Education Committee Meeting
  • 25/05/18 – Academic Board Meeting
  • 29/05/18 – Toastie Tuesdays at Magill Campus
  • 29/05/18 – Campus Tour – Director: Student and Academic Services with Brendan Hughes (SEU)
  • 29/05/18 – Candidate Dinner – Director: Student and Academic Services
  • 30/05/18 – Focus Group: Mapping the Student Journey
  • 30/05/18 – Magill Reconciliation Week Event with Pamela Spek (ATSI Rep)

What I’m up to next month:

  • 01/06/18 – Meeting with Daniel Randell (USASA GM), Nick Anderson (USASA Finance Advisor), and Arthur Siow (USASA Legal Advisor)
  • 05/05/18 – Meeting with Kayla Dickeson (NUS (Dis)abilities Officer)
  • 05/06/18 – Shortlisting – Learning Advisor
  • 05/06/18 – UNITE Workshop – Masterclass: Presence, Pitching and Presenting
  • 08/06/18 – Welfare Committee Meeting
  • 10/06/18 – Sea & Vines Day Trip
  • 12/06/18 – Meeting with Daniel Randell (USASA GM) and Bridget Laffy (Student Rep Support Officer)
  • 13/06/18 – Meeting with Laura-Anne Bull (PVC: Student Engagement & Equity) and Daniel Randell (USASA GM)
  • 13/06/18 – Meeting with Michelle Anderson (Manager: Access and Inclusion, SEU) and Rainbow Club regarding ALLY Network Progress
  • 15/06/18 – Student Engagement Advisory Group Meeting
  • 18/06/18 – Halloween Committee Meeting
  • 19/06/18 – Interviews – Learning Advisor
  • 19/06/18 – USASA Board Meeting
  • 21/06/18 – Policy Review Steering Group Meeting
  • 28/06/18 – University Council Meeting
  • TBA – Clubs Committee Meeting
  • TBA – Finance Committee Meeting
  • TBA – Governance Committee Meeting
  • TBA – Diversity and Equity Committee Meeting

That’s all for now, if in the meantime you’d like to get in contact for any reason, feel free to send me an email at mumjp001@mymail.unisa.edu.

 

 

March 2018 – President’s Report

Hi everyone!

Let me start out this month’s report by congratulating the newly-elected Mount Gambier Representative – Georgina Gogel. I’m sure Georgina will be a strong voice for Mount Gambier students, and I look forward to working with her to achieve her goals for 2018.

From Campus Fair events on all 4 metro campuses, to getting our plans for the year into action through the USASA Committees, this has been an extremely busy month for myself and the rest of the USASA team. I hope you’ve all been able to experience some of the fantastic changes around your campuses, including exciting new food vendors, improved student spaces, extended library hours, as well as student lockers at Mawson Lakes. USASA is and will continue to be a strong voice pushing to expand student services and amenities for all UniSA students.

28795445_10156235141582905_2051188608617938944_o.jpg


Now onto what I’ve been up to this month:

Campus Fair

This month the saw Campus Fair at all 4 metro campuses, and it was great to meet so many of you at these events. From USASA Clubs, free food, live music, and furry friends, events like these are at the core of what a student association should be delivering for students, and I can’t wait for the rest of our event schedule to make sure UniSA campuses are vibrant and engaging for students!

cow.png


National Day of Action

On March 21, students from all around the country took to the streets to oppose the Federal Governments $2.2bn worth of funding cuts to Australian universities through a a two-year freeze in commonwealth grants funding. Universities Australia predicts a shortfall in funding for 10,000 students, meaning universities will need to find budget savings elsewhere, either through capping enrolments, or cutting courses and student support. USASA will continue to be a strong voice against cuts to the quality of your education, through both our support for the NUS, as well as making our voices heard within appropriate university channels.

29472869_10154724506969364_4869833739263279104_o.jpg


Other things I’ve done this month:

 

  • 01/03/18 – Visit to Mount Gambier Campus to discuss USASA Election
  • 01/03/18 – Club Welcome Back BBQ at City West Campus
  • 02/03/18 – UniSA Crisis Line Briefing
  • 05/03/18 – Governance Committee Meeting
  • 06/03/18 – Campus Fair – Magill Campus
  • 06/03/18 – Finance Committee Meeting
  • 07/03/18 – Policy Review Project Meeting with Shweta Mariwala
  • 08/03/18 – Campus Fair – City West Campus
  • 13/03/18 – Meeting with Daniel Randell and Bridget Laffy
  • 14/03/18 – Welfare Committee Meeting
  • 15/03/18 – University Council Strategy Session and Meeting
  • 19/03/18 – Meeting with Ethan Taylor (UATSIS President)
  • 19/03/18 – Meeting with Mark Pace (NUS President)
  • 20/03/18 – Meeting with Daniel Randell and Dr Laura-Anne Bull
  • 20/03/18 – UNITE Program – USASA Board
  • 20/03/18 – Governance Committee Meeting
  • 20/03/18 – USASA Board Meeting
  • 21/03/18 – Chaired Student Connect Meeting at Mawson Lakes
  • 21/03/18 – National Day of Action at Parliament House
  • 22/03/18 – O-Week / Campus Fair Debrief
  • 22/03/18 – Interview with Fresh 92.7 about Student Politics
  • 23/03/18 – Student Engagement Advisory Group Meeting
  • 23/03/18 – Education Committee Meeting
  • 23/03/18 – Academic Board Pre-Meeting + Meeting
  • 27/03/18 – Presentation to Aviation Students Organisation about USASA Club Strategic Plan
  • 27/03/18 – Clubs Committee Meeting
  • 27/03/18 – Meeting with Yvonne Zeegers about changes to Education Undergraduate Program
  • 28/03/18 – Meeting with Matthew Boughey (Adelaide Uni SRC President) and Ashley Sutherland (FUSA President)
  • 28/03/18 – UniTopia Marketing Meeting
  • 28/03/18 – Meeting with Bridget Laffy

What I’m up to next month:

  • 03/04/18 – PAC CRAWL Volunteer Brief
  • 04/04/18 – UniTopia Whyalla
  • 05/04/18 – Meeting with Brendan Hughes (SEU) and Daniel Randell (USASA GM)
  • 05/04/18 – Policy Review Steering Group Meeting
  • 05/04/18 – Shortlisting Meeting – Coordinator: Communications and Events
  • 06/04/18 – Welfare Committee Meeting
  • 06/04/18 – USASA PAC CRAWL
  • 09/04/18 – Orientation Advisory Group Meeting
  • 10/04/18 – Finance Committee Meeting
  • 10/04/18 – Media Training
  • 11/04/18 – Graduation Ceremony – School of NBE
  • 11/04/18 – Graduation Ceremony – School of ITEE
  • 12/04/18 – Graduation Ceremony – School of AAD
  • 12/04/18 – Graduation Ceremony – School of EASS
  • 16/04/18 – Graduation Ceremony – School of Nursing and Midwifery
  • 17/04/18 – Governance Committee Meeting
  • 17/04/18 – UNITE Program – USASA Board
  • 17/04/18 – USASA Board Meeting
  • 18/04/18 – Interviews – Coordinator: Communications and Events
  • 18/04/18 – Graduation Ceremony – School of Management, School of Marketing, Business Services
  • 24/04/18 – Clubs Committee Meeting
  • 27/04/18 – Education Committee Club

That’s all for now. If in the meantime you’d like to get in contact for any reason, feel free to send me an email at mumjp001@mymail.unisa.edu.

 

 

February 2018 – President’s Report

Hi everyone!

I hope you’ve all had an enjoyable O-Week, and I wish you all the best for your studies this year. O-Week is a very busy time of the year for USASA, we’ve been out and about on campus handing out freebies, and letting you know about all of the great services we provide for students. If you haven’t picked up one of our 2018 goodie bags, then make sure you pick one up from your nearest USASA Campus Counter!

While we’ve all been busy getting ready for all that 2018 brings, the federal Liberal government have been planning further cuts to higher education and student welfare. At the end of last year when the federal government handed down its Mid-Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook (MYEFO), they announced a two-year freeze to the Commonwealth Grant Scheme (CGS). This is an effective cap on funding for student places, equating to a cut of approximately $2.2 billion to the Higher Education Sector. This was coupled with a plan to massively reduce the HECS repayment threshold – meaning you’ll have to pay back your degree sooner. Along with the attack on wages of many students, through the cuts to penalty rates, it is clear that this Federal Government sees students and workers as an easy target. USASA will continue to ensure your voices are heard on a national scale by working with the National Union of Students (NUS) to stand up to the Liberal government. If you’d like to get involved in the NUS Education Campaign, you can join me, and others for the National Day of Action on March 21.


Now onto what I’ve been up to this month:
II
NUS Presidents Summit
 II

At the end of last month, I attended the NUS Presidents Summit in Victoria, along with the NUS National Office Bearing team, as well as campus presidents and secretaries from across the country. The summit provided a fantastic up-skilling opportunity for campus presidents. On the first day we received comprehensive training on the role and duty of Board Directors from Maurice Blackburn lawyers, as well as a presentation from the Tertiary Education Quality Standards Agency (TEQSA), where we discussed the role of TEQSA, and their plans to collaborate more effectively with the NUS in 2018. Attendees also received training on communications by the Media and Communications Officer of the NTEU, training on effective petitions by the VTHC data team, training on parliamentary submissions by former Senator Trish Crossin, as well as many other workshops and training opportunities. I will be submitting a more comprehensive report-back on the NUS Presidents Summit to the USASA Board at our next Board Meeting, and will make this available online for anyone who is interested.

27535819_10156001200813290_1440607846_o.jpg
A workshop with other campus leaders about what we think the priorities for the NUS should be.
February Board Meeting 
 II

On the 6th of February, we had our first Board Meeting of the year, where I discussed with the Board my plans for moving forward with constitutional reform, and improving the governance of USASA. It was great to hear the plans of the all of the other Board members and what they hoped to achieve in 2018. We also appointed Committee Conveners, and I am very happy with how the Committees, and hope that we will have a very productive year. I also submitted my report to the board on the 2017 NUS National Conference, and opened to questions from the rest of the board. The minutes of the Board Meeting will be available online soon for those who are interested in reading them.

Mount Gambier Visit

It was great to visit the Mount Gambier campus towards the end of the month to speak with new students about the services that USASA provides, and to discuss the upcoming election for the USASA Mount Gambier Representative position. I understand how important our regional campuses are, and one of my goals for this year is to work more with our regional campuses to improve the student experience, and make sure students on our regional campuses do not feel left out. I can’t wait to visit both Whyalla and Mount Gambier next month.

28056004_320329858371181_7185758763883040721_n.jpg
Daniel Randell (USASA GM), Bridget Laffy (Student Rep Support Officer), and I during out Mount Gambier Visit for O-Week.

Other things I’ve Been up to:

  • 05/02/18 – Meeting with USASA GM Daniel Randell
  • 05/02/18 – Meeting with USASA GM Daniel Randell and PVC: Student Equity and Equity Dr Laura-Anne Bull
  • 05/02/18 – Shortlisting meeting for UniSA Counsellors
  • 05/02/18 – Meeting with Adelaide University SRC President Matt Boughey, and FUSA President Ashley Sutherland
  • 06/02/18 – Club Assistant Interviews
  • 06/02/18 – Meeting with Peter Andrinopoulos and Ryan Colsey to discuss ASR Program and USASA Education Committee
  • 06/02/18 – Meeting with USASA GM Daniel Randell
  • 06/02/18 – USASA Board Meeting
  • 07/02/18 – Club Assistant Interviews
  • 08/02/18 – UniSA Counsellor Interviews
  • 09/02/18 – Club Assistant Interviews
  • 12/02/18 – UniSA Counsellor Interviews
  • 13/02/18 – Presentation to ASR’s about USASA Education Committee with Ryan Colsey
  • 13/02/18 – NUS Education Planning Day
  • 14/02/18 – University Council Meeting
  • 15/02/18 – UniPrep Presentation
  • 19/02/18 – O-Week Activities at Mount Gambier Campus
  • 20/02/18 – Meeting with Bridget Laffy, Daniel Randell, and Ian McKay (Regional Manager Mount Gambier)
  • 22/02/18 – O-Week Activities at City West Campus
  • 23/02/18 – Academic Board Pre-Meeting
  • 23/02/18 – Academic Board Meeting
  • 27/02/18 – Student Appeals Committee Meeting
  • 27/02/18 – Clubs Committee Meeting
  • 27/02/18 – Education Committee Meeting
  • 27/02/18 – Finance Committee Meeting
  • 28/02/18 – Welfare Committee Meeting

What I’m up to next month:

Campus Fair 

The Campus Fair events will be hitting all metro campuses next month, and I can’t wait to meet you all at them. Each day will feature stacks of USASA Clubs, UniSA Sports Clubs, UniSA Services, furry friends, free food, and heaps more! If you’d like more information about Campus Fair you can find that here.

campus-fair-banner.png


Other things I’m up to next month:

  • 01/03/18 – Visit to Mount Gambier Campus to discuss USASA Election
  • 01/03/18 – Club Welcome Back BBQ at City West Campus
  • 02/03/18 – UniSA Crisis Line Briefing
  • 05/03/18 – Governance Committee Meeting
  • 06/03/18 – Campus Fair – Magill Campus
  • 07/03/18 – Policy Review Project Meeting with Shweta Mariwala
  • 08/03/18 – Campus Fair – City West Campus
  • 13/03/18 – Campus Fair – Mawson Lakes Campus
  • 15/03/18 – Campus Fair – City East Campus
  • 20/03/18 – Meeting with Daniel Randell and Dr Laura-Anne Bull
  • 20/03/18 – USASA Board Meeting
  • 21/03/18 – National Day of Action at Parliament House
  • 23/03/18 – Whyalla Campus Visit
  • 24/03/18 – Whyalla Family Fun Beach Picnic
  • TBA – Committee Meetings

That’s all for now, if in the meantime you’d like to get in contact for any reason, feel free to send me an email at mumjp001@mymail.unisa.edu.

January 2018 – President’s Report

Hi everyone!

It is an incredible honour to be able to introduce myself as your 2018 USASA President. I am proud of the work I did in 2017 to deliver for Mawson Lakes students, and I can’t wait to continue to work this year to improve the student experience for all UniSA students.
—————-
2018 is going to be an incredibly busy year for USASA, from working behind the scenes to move forward on our goal of constitutional reform, continuing to focus on improving student welfare, as well as going through the process of developing a new Strategic Plan. I’ll have more to say on these areas in the coming months.
—————-
Last year we asked students what they wanted to see from their student clubs, and overwhelmingly students told us they want more grants and funding. This year will see the rolling out of our Club Strategic Plan which will deliver a framework to manage facilities, ensure financial equity across clubs, and provide more targeted resourcing. UniSA currently allocates significantly less Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) than other South Australian universities, and USASA will be at the forefront of continuing to seek additional funding for our student clubs, as well as supporting the expansion of external sponsorships, and improving processes around internal grants.

Continue reading

December 2017 – Mawson Lakes Rep

Hi everyone,

We’ve finally made it to the last blog post of the year! I hope you’ve all had a great Christmas, and I wish you all a happy new year. As mentioned last month, I intend to keep this post quite short, so I am going to forgo the normal format of my posts and just speak about a couple of things.

One of the highlights of this month was attending the NUS National Conference at Deakin University’s Warun Ponds Campus. The conference was a productive one, and I enjoyed being able to advance the interests of students on a national level. I will be providing a comprehensive report back of the conference to the 2018 USASA board. For those of you who don’t know, I was elected to represent UniSA students as USASA’s Student President in 2018, so much of my time this month has been spent meeting members of staff, and preparing for 2018 so we can hit the ground running. I very much look forward to being able to continue to advocate for the interests of UniSA students next year, so with that said, I’ll see you all in 2018!

Continue reading

November 2017 – Mawson Lakes Rep

Hi everyone,

It is hard to believe that 2017 is fast coming to an end already. Well done to everyone who has finished their study for the year, you can all be proud of the hard work you’ve put in this year. I wish everyone all the best for the break, and for those of you returning next year I look forward to seeing you all on campus.


Now onto what I’ve been up this month:

USASA Board Meeting – 06/11/17

Our board meeting in the first week of November was very productive so I’ll touch briefly on some of the outcomes of that meeting. One of the standouts of this meeting was the board approving a new financial investment arrangement for USASA, which students will be able to see the benefits of over the next few years. Continue reading

October 2017 – Mawson Lakes Rep

Hi everyone,
What a month! I’m sure you’ve all been super busy heading into the hectic exam season, but hopefully UniTopia allowed you to unwind and feel renewed and relaxed.
USASA elections have also been occurring this month, so to all of the staff who worked hard to ensure they ran smoothly thank you. To all of the candidates – successful, and unsuccessful, as well as all students who participated by taking the time to vote, thank you for contributing to this important process.

Now onto what I’ve been up to this month:

UniTopia Mawson Lakes 17/10/17 – 
I hope everyone who came and experienced the festivities of UniTopia at Mawson Lakes enjoyed themselves, as I certainly did. Events like this really showcase the best of USASA and it is especially great leading into such a stressful study period. I was lucky enough to work with the Women’s Committee on their responsible sex stall, and although turnout was quite low, we had some great conversations.
22520200_10155656580084774_5779870828114651380_o.jpg
Louise Kyriaki (Postgraduate Rep), and I on the Responsibili-TEA stall at Mawson Lakes.

Other things I’ve been up to: 

  • Brekky Bar – 04/10/17
  • USASA Board Meeting – 09/10/17
  • Brekky Bar – 11/10/17
  • Student Connect Meeting – 17/10/17
  • Academic Review Appeals Interview – 20/10/17
  • Academic Board Meeting – 27/10/17

What I’ve got planned for next month:
  • Clubs Committee Meeting – 31/10/17
  • Academic Review Meeting 31/10/17
  • Welfare Committee Meeting – 02/11/17
  • USASA Board Meeting 06/11/17
  • Academic Board Meeting 24/11/17

That’s all for now, if you see me on campus then come and say hey! In the meantime if you have any issues or concerns feel free to send me an email on mumjp001@mymail.unisa.edu

September 2017 – Mawson Lakes Rep

Hi everyone,

I hope you’ve all had a great break from study, and are enthusiastic about seeing out the rest of the year. Throughout the month of September, USASA has been focused on several projects. I’ve been involved in discussions around the future of Brekky Bar, as well as the establishment of an emergency grants scheme. I will hopefully have more to say on these developments in the coming months.


Now onto what I’ve been up this month:

AHRC Survey Forum –
On the 5th of September, I attended the Responding to the Australian Human Rights Commission Survey Report Forum, which featured USASA President Kayla Dickeson, Vice Chancellor David Lloyd, Founder of EROC Australia Sharna Bremmer, Yarrow Place Representative Sophie, as well as Manager of Counselling at UniSA Narelle Lietschke. It was a great discussion, and while the University has committed to accepting the recommendations of the report in full, there is much more work to do in space.

Student Housing Survey – 
As part of a nation-wide project, the National Union of Students (NUS) and Anglicare Australia are trying to learn more about student housing and rental affordability. On the 7th of September, I, as well as Kayla Dickeson, and NUS Welfare Officer – Jill Molloy, spoke to students about the housing survey and encouraged them to participate. If you’d like to get involved you can complete the survey here.
20785875_1298428356946846_7957308574338317924_o.png

Other things I’ve been up to:

  • Brekky Bar – 30/08/17
  • USASA Board Meeting 04/09/17
  • Welfare Committee Meeting – 28/09/17

Things I’ve got planned for next month:

  • Brekky Bar – 04/10/17
  • USASA Board Meeting – 09/10/17
  • UniTopia City West – 10/10/17
  • Brekky Bar – 11/10/17
  • UniTopia Mawson Lakes – 17/10/17
  • Brekky Bar – 18/10/17
  • Academic Review Meeting – 20/10/17
  • Academic Board Meeting – 27/10/17
  • Welfare Committee Meeting – TBA
  • Club Committee Meeting – TBA

That’s all for now, if you see me on campus then come and say hey! In the meantime if you have any issues or concerns feel free to send me an email on mumjp001@mymail.unisa.edu