It has been a sad farewell to our mid-year break and chilly welcome to SP5. The break ended with a high with a group of Uni students and their families attending Errappa conquering several high rope challenges. Well done to everybody who attended.
Few things to keep in mind whilst hitting the books;
Competition: Head to usasa.sa.edu.au/studyspace for your chance to win $100 Visa Gift card by voting for best room designs completed by UniSA Interior Design Students.
Free Tax Return Appointments: It is tax time and UniSA are offering eligible students free appointments to get their tax affairs in order. There a limited number of appointments available, so students will need to make appointments quickly, please go to; usasa.sa.edu.au/TaxHelp
Nominations for the 2018 USASA Student Board: Nominations will be open from September 11 to September 22. The USASA Student Board is a great opportunity to:
- Give a voice to students
- Make a positive change on campus
- Earn a $3,000 honorarium p.a. (higher for president)
All nominating students will need to submit a nomination form and attend an information workshop. Website: usasa.sa.edu.au/Election Direct your questions to: Bridget Laffy (Student Representative Support Officer) Bridget.Laffy@unisa.edu.au
Open Day: On Sunday 27th August from 11.00 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. spread the word and get more people studying at our great campus. http://www.unisa.edu.au/Calendar/Whyalla-Campus-Open-Day/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj-HN1p-c1QIVjBiPCh3BkglNEAAYASAAEgJWzvD_BwE
Greetings to everyone, congrats to those students who survived the semester and got through it and all the best to those who have a little longer, keep pushing.
Gratitude to Kayla Dickeson (President of USASA) who came up to Whyalla to hear the thoughts and ideas from our students on how Student Services and Amenities Fees (SSAF) could be better spent. Minutes of meeting attached. SSAF focus group – Whyalla
Thank you to all those who attended UniTopia for Semester 2, 2017, we had sushi, subway, free haircuts and free rubs, below are some snaps of the day.
Look out for our next event which will be held lunch time on Wednesday 21st June, celebrating the end of SP2 2017 forever, eating together and chatting about how you would like to spend SAF (Student Amenities Fees) funds the university charge.
Also remember to buy your tickets for our overnight stay at Errappa https://usasa.sa.edu.au/Products/1106 on Thursday 20th July leaving at 12pm. For only $20 you will receive three meals and a ropes course to test your courage.
Take care and all the best for those completing placement at the moment.
I was really impressed with the energy of the new students as they strolled in for their official first day at Uni, sitting at the USASA table I knew this was their first encounter with the Student Association. As they looked at what was available to take for free, most picked up the condom packet from shine thinking it was a set of matches or a badge, they turned the packet to read the fine print only to have a great surprise, you know who you are.
Hi all, I am the Whyalla Campus Student Representative for the University of South Australia Student Association (USASA). My name is Kemal Brkic and I am a mature age student studying my third year in Bachelor of Education (Primary).
This is my second term on the student board, and I am here to assist students in the following areas;
- If you have any issues with your studies there are people to help you, there is Campus Central and Lauren Johnson, Regional Student Support Officer and if your matters deal with academic integrity we have staff who specifically work in advocacy at USASA, so please feel free to contact us to help you out https://usasa.sa.edu.au/advocacy
- At the Whyalla Campus we have the Movie Lovers Club however if you have an idea about starting a new club, feel free to contact us to get your idea moving; you will need a membership of 10 however for our campus we understand this might take some time to gain, so please start and make it happen, here is some more info; https://usasa.sa.edu.au/runningclubs
- USASA is independent from the University and we want to make your experience extra special so if you can think of any ideas to do this then please contact me at the email below.
Looking forward to seeing you all at O-Week on Monday 20th Feb and Tuesday 21st February, I will touch base with you after this to outline some more great activities for the year.
On the 26th November, 2016 we gathered together at the Eyre Hotel to acknowledge the year we had and HUGE Congratulations to all those who completed their studies through whatever challenges you may have faced, no matter what year or subject area, Congratulations to Foundation Students who had the courage to enter the University sector working hard to achieve something incredible. Congratulations to all those graduating in 2017, (including Alex Robinson, former USASA rep and loyal supporter of Uni events) hope you all enjoyed your Uni experience in Whyalla.
We farewell the Student Experience Ambassador position which Michelle Fay has worked so tirelessly in and welcome a new concept of a student leadership group encouraging students from different disciplines to come together and plan and run events for 2017.
Hope everyone survived October, I know students have been busy with assignments and placements. I do want to thank everyone who made the effort to come out to UniTopia on October 5th special mention to Carey Moore (USASA President) who made the effort to fly up for the day and help out. On this day we also celebrated 25 trees for 25 years, an initiative funded by the Student Association and planted by students of Whyalla.
Only two months of study for 2016 to go, and a few events to put in the calendar;
UniTopia – Wednesday 5th October
- 0830 – USASA Brekky Bar (until 1100)
- 0900 – Boot camp on front lawn
- 1100 – 5 min Massage commence (via booking sheet, be quick)
- 1200 – 25 Trees for 25 Fabulous Years – photo/cake
- 1215 – Lunch (front lawn)
- 1230 – Bubble soccer commences
- 1330 – Bubble soccer finishes
- 1340 – Large games set up and played
- 1440 – Clean up commence
- 1450 – Last Massage
- 1500 – End of Unitopia